Thursday, February 13, 2014

Missing December and January, Celebrating the Love in February

Hard to believe my last post was for Thanksgiving... way back in November. Two full months have passed, and a lot of exciting things have happened to us.

I'll start with Graden and work my way up. To sum up the past few months: He is doing great! Our last tests were in December and the results were mailed to us, which never happens and is an indicator that nothing had changed. These results, of course, are good news because they show that Grado hasn't developed any new symptoms, and, while he isn't "getting better," he isn't getting worse. So, we've achieved our goal of "maintaining." I cannot tell you how it feels to type that sentence.

If you remember, our transition to Kindergarten was stressful (for me and Grado). His teacher is experienced, patient, and full of ideas for helping him learn, and she has done exactly that. In October, she was noticing some absence seizures; we were able to address her concerns right away with our doctor, and, lucky for us, it was only a matter of increasing Grado's medicine. He had grown so much since he was first prescribed his medication that he was no longer receiving the right dosage. We also began talking, and encouraging him to talk, about his surgery. He was struggling with the idea of needing to protect his "special brain" to an extreme -- pushing kids away who got too close, crying when someone hugged him too hard. Needless to say, Phil and I just didn't understand that he was as upset and confused as we were at the idea of him having, and recovering from, brain surgery. It's scary for us adults, and we just didn't know how he would react. He's smart, though, and we should have known he would need answers to his questions and concerns. So, we had several days and weeks of chats to allow him time to actually let it sink in and grieve. I'm happy to say, he understands much more now, but he still wants to protect his head (not as extreme as before, though), which is fine by Momma. :)

Now, three months after these "fixes," Grado is doing well. Of course, we still have some issues revolving around frustration (that turns into some minor behavior trouble), but overall, he is doing well and has grown tremendously in his academics. Remember, we're talking about the kid who wanted to spell his name "G," because "that's what Papaw calls him." Well, now he's writting his first and last name and trying to read everything! And, most importantly, he isn't behind... he's working right along his classmates, and that is thanks to his teacher, if you want my honest opinion. :)


Grado also started basketball in January; it's his first time playing a sport and being part of a team. He's amazing and loves it! I'm not going to lie to you -- this was not an easy decision to allow your child to play a sport only 7 months after such a serious surgery. But, we just couldn't justify not letting him try. He plays with kids who are 5 and 6, so they aren't rough. Of course, accidents can still happen, but we have to trust that he will be okay. Basketball is not on his list of restrictions, so that also helps, unless he ends up being drafted to the NBA, at which point we will have to kindly decline their offer. :) I struggled, though, worrying about what other parents would think (at least the ones who know Graden's background), and I had to push the worry aside and decide to do what was best for our Grado. Phil helps coach, too, so he's with him at every game and practice. Regardless, I just can't keep him in a bubble, especially as he gets older. I'm sure I'll blog more about this as he grows...

Then, there's Landen. He's grown up so much over the past several months; I've noticed a lot of changes this school year, too. He was on the honor roll again, after a bumpy start to the school year. It wasn't that he didn't know what he was doing; it was more about taking the time to actually do the work. Plus, 2013 was a rough year at our house... I think it got to him; although, he would never complain about what we needed to do for his brother. He, too, is protective of his little brother's special brain. :)

Landen is also playing basketball, and we had no idea he would love it as much as baseball and football and be as good at it as he is! He's had a growth spurt, so his height has been a bit of an advantage, but he's also got a good shot. He's going to be one of those kids that's good at all sports because of his coordination, so I'll be excited to watch him decide which he likes best and where he chooses to excel.

Other than sports, Landen is also our creative, "hands-on" kid. He's constantly wanting to draw or build something. He's also been helping me mentor at The Brandon Foundation one day a week. He loves it, and I love that he knows why we go there and that it isn't just for "fun." He thinks he's helping the kids and Caty, a friend of ours and the founder. I'm just as proud of him for working with the foundation as I am for making good grades and scoring points.

I can't say too much about Phil, because all he's done for the past few months is PLOW, and he's about ready snap. He works long, hard hours and days; riding around in a truck. Pushing snow is for the birds. I tried being a "good wife" and tagged along a few trips, and I couldn't hack it. It's back and forth and back and forth and bumps and holes and more snow and cold and back and forth and BLAH! But, he doesn't complain (much!) and likes his job. So, we're thankful for him. The best part about this winter is that because he plows and works through the nights and early mornings, we've gotten to spend some days together with the boys on snow days; they've been fun!


Lastly, there's me. I've also been busy the past few months, but in a much different way than I've ever been. Usually, I complain that I don't have time for anything, but that has changed!

I completed my Master's degree in December.

Yes, you read that right... I am done! I cannot tell you how much weight was lifted from my shoulders the day I submitted my last assignment. I did absolutely NO work over the holiday break, and I loved every single second of not having something to do. I didn't realize just how much stress and tension I had carrying around the weight of homework for the past 6 or so years, as I finished my Bachelor's and went straight into the Master's program. Don't get me wrong -- I absolutely loved being a student. I just struggled being a student, mom, teacher, wife, and friend all at the same time. Now, I feel like I have the time to be all those things (minus the student!). I'm even working on getting my teaching license and considering teaching high school, too! (I'm sure I'll keep you posted.)

I also had surgery mid-December, which caused me to be out for several weeks. It was pretty major, but it couldn't have gone better, and it's made me feel so much better -- that's all that matters.


I knew I wouldn't blog in January, because as we transitioned back to school, I wanted to focus on my teaching and writing in other ways. I didn't want to feel pressured to set a New Year's Resolution, because I know 2014 is the year for me to "wrap up" some of my unfinished projects and goals from previous years' that have been on hold. And, I'm excited about that... for so very many reasons. Don't worry -- I'll be blogging about them as the year goes by...

But, the best news for today's post?

WE GOT A HOUSE.


Yep. We sure did. Many of you know we've been living with my in-laws for the past year (can you believe it's been over a year?!), and it's been great, honestly. Our goal was to begin looking, buy, and move throughout summer and early fall, so we could be settled for next school year. But, things happen. And, they happen for a reason.

We had looked at houses about two years ago (before we knew about Graden's surgery), and we saw a few we really liked, but we knew we couldn't move yet -- and it worked out that we didn't! But, wouldn't you know, about two weeks ago, we heard about a house that was still on the market because a sale had fallen through; it was in the area we wanted, in the price range we wanted, and had all the details we wanted. So, just because we could, we drove by... it was the same house we had loved a few years ago! I had to ask about it, because we know the sellers, and just maybe...

The rest is history.

We're signing the papers tonight, getting the keys, and moving in this weekend.

Fast, I know, but I'm excited. So, so excited!

So, that's it. There's our past few months full of good news and progress. We knew 2014 had to be better than 2013, right? Here's to celebrating the love of Valentine's day... as we move to our new home. :)

1 comment:

JFurnish said...

Hi Melissa, it's been a really long time since i've talked to you or even thought of you, but for some reason you were on my mind this morning. I did a quick search and read your blog. I'm happy to hear of your successes and sorry to hear of your struggles. I read a little about your son and his brain surgery and I'd like to hear more. I think it might be possible I can help. Let me know. - Jerry Furnish, Silver Bay, MN 218-220-1173